Pinworms are incredibly bothersome to all that are affected because of the intense rectal itching that is caused. We are talking about works that actually crawl out of the patient’s anus during the night in order to lay eggs. Transmission can easily happen between children as they tend to put their fingers inside their mouths often and the eggs to become lodged right under the finger nails after scratching.
Symptoms And Causes
As with most conditions out there, prevention is better than treatment. With this in mind, you should be aware of the 2 most common pinworm causes:
- Eating Foods That Are Not Sanitary – Eggs can be eaten during your meals or can be ingested from food that was contaminated, thus easily reaching your intestinal tract only to hatch later.
- Unclean Clothing And Sheets – When you sleep in a bed that is unclean or you wear clothes that are contaminated with eggs and that were not cleaned, you do get into direct contact with such an infection.
When talking about the symptoms, you should be aware of the following:
- Itchiness – the most common symptom associated because of the reason that was highlighted above.
- Serious complications – Insomnia and poor sleeping can appear. Infections have to be treated if they are seen in a patient.
- Urinary tract infections – worms can actually penetrate the urethra or the vagina, thus leaving to urinary tract infections. This complication is more common in women.
- Other symptoms – this includes bleeding but it is rare since pinworms will not invade intestine wall.
Pinworms Home Remedies
For starters, it should be mentioned that making healthy dietary changes does help a lot. You have to avoid high carb and sugar foods. That is because the pinworms will thrive on the substances, allowing them to quickly multiply. You want to increase the intake of high fiber foods and increase probiotics in your body.
Obviously, hygiene is highly important and a key to getting rid of these pesky critters. Proper hand washing techniques have to be taught to children at a young age, including cleaning under nails. Always wash in water that is hot and clean sheets and clothes regularly.
Talking about the home remedies, you should consider the following:
This is a really powerful food that is highly effective at getting rid of these works. You cannot use a powdered form though. Make sure that you add garlic to the dishes that those infected eat and you will see the immense benefit that is associated. You can also use this as a paste to apply it on th effected area when you mix it with Vaseline.
Grapefruit Seed Extract
You can find this in pharmacies. Just mix ten drops with one large glass of water. You will need to drink this 3 times daily for a period of seven days. Various other health benefits are associated. Alternatively, opt for the pill form.
This is a remedy that has most of its popularity in India. You just have to take one spoon of coconut oil or coconut juice in the morning, when you wake up. Add castor oil around 3 hours later. This actually flushes pinworks from your body.
You can easily shred raw carrots and eat them several times per day. They are a completely natural way to get rid of pinworms. If you are a picky eater and you do not like the vegetables, try to mix it up with honey.
This is a lesser known remedy for pinworms. Simmer some raw crushed pumpkin seeds in water for 2 hours. Then strain that mixture through your filter. You have to let it cool off and then take one tablespoon every quarter of an hour for 2 hours. After 2 hours take a natural laxative. 2 hours after that eat some warm oatmeal. This is a completely effective way to get rid of pinworms.